Q: What is microblading?
A: A form of cosmetic tattoo that is done to enhance one’s natural eyebrows (or lack thereof) by creating the look of realistic eyebrow hair. Several tiny individual “hairlike” strokes are very carefully implanted into the surface of the skin with a special hand tool.
Q: Who is microblading for?
A: Those who...
A: Those who...
- have over-tweezed/waxed/threaded their brows over the years and now hair won’t grow back.
- have no brows and want the appearance of real eyebrow hair.
- want a subtle enhancement or fill in gaps to perfect their already existing brow shape/color.
- want waterproof, weatherproof, smudge proof eyebrows without wearing any makeup.
- want to shorten their makeup routine
- want more confidence or struggle with doing their brow makeup.
- are willing to commit to their brow journey as well as closely following the before &aftercare instructions for optimal results.
Q: What is the process?
A: It is a 2 appointment process, scheduled at least 6 weeks apart. The brows are not considered done until after the last session. Some clients may need more than 2 sessions to depending on skin type & care, certain medications, general health, sun exposure/tanning, and how committed they are to following the before & aftercare instructions.
Q: Why do I need more than one session?
A: When the brows are fresh after the initial session, they can fade significantly while healing afterward. The first session we build the foundation. The second session is done to refine the shape and touch up any areas that may have lightened.
Q: What are the different styles of tattooed brows that can be done?
- Microblading: individual hair strokes; a very natural, light coverage style.
- Powder Brows: a soft shading technique that gives the illusion of fullness/density to the brows while still looking natural. This is a great alternative for clients who are not good candidates for the microblading method.
- Combination Brows: both the microblading hair strokes and powder fill styles combined. Combining both styles increases the density and definition of the brows to achieve a fuller, more realistic effect than hair strokes alone.
Q: How long does it last?
A: It varies person to person, but usually 1-3 years before you will want a touch up. It all depends on your skin type, medications, following before & after care instructions, tanning/ sun exposure, immune system and lifestyle. Every person will heal differently and fade at a different pace. Results are always best when clients closely follow all directions involved with taking care of the skin before and after each session.
Note: Since it is a tattoo, some traces of ink may never fully fade away.
Q: How often will I need touch ups and what is the cost?
A: It varies person to person. I offer the option of annual touch ups (also known as “color boosts”) to keep the brows looking their best. However, some clients will find that they can go longer before needing a touch up. Annual touch ups are $100.
Q: How long do the appointments take?
A: The first session is scheduled for 3 hours. The second session is usually scheduled for 2 hours. If you have great skin, and follow my before & aftercare instructions for each appointment, we can usually get done in half the time.
Q: Can microblading cover my old eyebrow tattoo?
A: Sometimes, but only if the old tattoos have faded enough. In some instances, tattoo removal or color correction of the old tattoos may be recommended before I try to cover them.
Q: Do I need to shave off or remove my natural brow hair to get this done?
A: No! Please keep your natural hair. Feel free to come to your appointment with overgrown/ unshaped brows. I will trim, shape and clean them up as part of the service. The more existing hair you have the more natural your result can be.
Q: Does it hurt?
A: It is a tattoo, so yes it can be slightly uncomfortable. Topical numbing cream is available to reduce discomfort. However, most say it is less painful than they expected.
(Ladies: I highly suggest NOT scheduling right before or during your period, as this can make you extra sensitive to pain)
Q: What is the down time?
- Most return to work right away, as long as they are not sweating/exercising, swimming, or in water/wet environments, environments with dust, dirt, oil, steam, or jobs where your brows are exposed to airborne particles/irritants.
- It takes 4-7 days for the skin to close, depending on how fast your body heals wounds. In that time, your skin will be open & vulnerable to infection if anything touches them.
- If you work in an environment where your brows could get dirty, it would be best to schedule your brows to be done when you know you will have time off. If time off is not a possibility, then I highly recommend keeping the brows covered while at work until the skin has closed. If left uncovered, your risk of poor healing/undesirable results and/or infection.
- The brow area must stay free of makeup for at least 10 days.
- No sweating or exercising on day of appointment or for 10 days afterward to avoid poor healing.
- I highly suggest to NOT get your brows done right before you go on vacation - the skin needs at least 4 weeks to regenerate before you go out in the sun, so you don’t zap your brows and cause premature fading.
Q: How do I know if I am a good candidate for microblading?
A: At the consultation, we will determine which style of brow enhancement would be best suited for you based on your overall health and skin profile. The microblading method is not for everyone, those who:
- HAVE ROSACEA, PSORIASIS, OR SEVERE ACNE IN THE BROW AREA
- REGULARLY USE RETINOLS/RETIN-A
- ARE CURRENTLY TAKING ACCUTANE OR HAVE TAKEN IT WITHIN THE PAST YEAR
- HAVE VERY OILY SKIN/VERY LARGE PORES ON FOREHEAD
- HAVE VERY SENSITIVE OR PROBLEMATIC SKIN
- ARE PREGNANT OR NURSING
- ARE EPILEPTIC
- ARE HIGHLY PRONE TO KELOIDS OR THICK SCARRING
- EXPERIENCE POST-INFLAMMATORY HYPER PIGMENTATION ON SKIN WOUNDS
- HAVE SUN DAMAGED SKIN, TAN FREQUENTLY, OR THOSE WITH MATURE SKIN
- HAVE UNCONTROLLED HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
- ARE ON BLOOD THINNERS OR THYROID MEDICATION
(THOSE WHO ARE NOT CANDIDATES FOR THE MICROBLADING METHOD, ARE USUALLY BETTER SUITED FOR THE “POWDER BROW” METHOD, WHICH IS DONE USING A DIFFERENT TECHNIQUE. IT STILL GIVES A NATURAL, SOFT, PRETTY ENHANCEMENT TO THE BROWS)
CHECK OUT MY WORK ON SOCIAL MEDIA
***PLEASE NOTE: Color retention and overall results vary for each individual, based on skin type, skin tone, sun exposure, lifestyle, immune system and aftercare. I cannot guarantee your results.***